Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Happiness is making it to the library after a long day at the hospital

I finally made myself go to the library after I was done in the hospital today - despite wanting to collapse onto my bed forever. I can now pass a test on sudden death (for cardiac reasons), coronary artery disease and cardiac catheterization. Just imagine: soon, I may be YOUR doctor.

Some good things that happened today:
1. I went with a very nice lady to get paracentesis done and held her hand during the entire procedure (say thank ya to comfortable shoes).
2. Saw histoplasmosis under the microscope from a patient who has been mysteriously (no longer!) sick for a while.
3. Was given permission during intern conference by the director of the medicine residency program to *gasp* have a sandwich before all the interns had gotten theirs.
4. I studied. Life is good, no?

All in all, a good day. Tomorrow I am on call....so no studying for sure. Ps - I am still working out for 45 minutes at 5am during the week, strength training/lifting weights twice on the weekend (on an upper body, lower body repeater, if you're interested), sleeping an average of 7 hrs a night (got down to 4 hours once last week) and eating healthy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr Lynn

This is my second try at commenting.I give two lighthearted suggestions on your blog title:"Rigours of medical training" or "Medical frontiers of learning". I suggested these because all learning struggles you post are an interesting open window for some of us who would otherwise not know the stringent process doctors on training go through. Plse keep going, you will make it.

deadrocketcow said...

Thanks! This blog started off as a general place where I could be creative and write about interesting things that happened to me, but of course, as I go through medical school, that aspect takes up most of my time...and most of my posts. It's always nice to know people are reading.