Sunday, July 11, 2010

Week One (or how I resolved what I want to spend the rest of my life doing)

I made it through the first week of my sub-I and my first 30 hour overnight call. So far, I am having an incredible experience - each day gets better than the day before. I can now declare that from not being able to sleep that night before my first day, waking up early and being dressed and ready to go 40 minutes before time, to loving every minute of being in the operating room, scrubbed in on the most amazing cases, to sleeping only 3 hours on Friday night, yet staying awake all through Saturday and into Sunday morning constantly on my feet, I am 100% sure that Neurosurgery is the perfect fit for me. Each moment of the day is an occasion to learn something new about Neurosurgery and surgical management, from the pathology behind various illnesses to communication, efficiency and multitasking skills necessary to be a great physician.
Even more fabulous is how wonderful the residents are, from the chief (who is letting me do more and more in the OR as I prove myself) to the interns (who are always ready to answer my questions, no matter how silly, no matter how small, offering advice on the application process).
I have been loving each task given to me, even though the residents will preface them with an apology for giving me "scut". I don't know if they believe me when I say I don't think it IS scut and that even if it were, I would be happy to do it.
All in all, I am having the best time of my medical school experience. Ever. Now on to my second week...

No comments: