Saturday, April 02, 2005

Becoming normal

And so my spring break is almost over and I am glad. I really cannot wait until Wednesday at 5pm when I have my ghanain drumming class. I cannot wait to complain that I have three exams on the same day, and lab hasn't been cancelled.
I want to hit the V-dub at 4:45pm, have a quick dinner and then swipe my card to begin 4 hours of work with the nicest, most interesting workers there are.
I miss Manny, with his gray hair curling out from under his Buds cap, and his shy smile.
I miss Antonio aka Tony, with the long braid that goes all the way down to the small of his back. You don't want to mess with him.
And even though Ernesto gives me the creeps with his I'm-so-hot-right-now attitude (especially when he slips on that awful leather jacket) and his mashed finger - I kinda miss him too.
I miss parrying Pedro's continued quest to take me out to dinner.
Or Rabbit telling me what a great job I've done as soon as I walk in the door.
I miss seeing the shock on Bling-Bling and Baby-Gurl's faces when I tell them how I spend my weekends - studying or doing research at the Sci Li/CIT.
"Girl, you need to go clubbin sometime. You need a life"
I don't really know the other two student workers. They come and they go. Depending on how good they are at holding back their dinner when they discover they have to scrape the remains off other people's plates, or (oh, the horror) clean up the mess their friends made, they may last the week. I usually give them 3 weeks max. Then new ones come.
So far I haven't lost a bet.

Wow. I've been up all night.

6 comments:

Chandra said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!!

You have several links to Zambian sites? I lived there and quite a bit of my family still does.

deadrocketcow said...

Oh, you're welcome. Yeah, I'm from Zambia - born and bred. In which part of Zambia is your family?

Chandra said...

My apologies for the delay.. LOL Life has been busy.

Family is in Luanshya currently and my little bro attends Chengelo School

deadrocketcow said...

Oh, it's not a problem.
Luanshya, huh? I grew up in Kitwe. That's really nice - you find connections in the most random places.

Anonymous said...

Now that I've figured this out - Is anything ever, really random?

Anonymous said...

I second IMA, really, is anything really random? even a random feature on a computer is a complex mathematical algorithm that is reversible.However i tend to believe a probabilistic random variable is random...(lol)..(guess who this is cow)