Monday, June 21, 2010

Why I [think I] want to be a Neurosurgeon: reason #3

May I just say that I cannot wait for my Neurosurgery sub-I in July? I already have a plan in place for my week off before fourth year begins. Sit down a minute, dear reader, grab a hot cup (or cold, depending on which part of the world you are in) and let me tell you...
Firstly, I have a 10K run to do Sunday the 27th. Training for this has been pitiful, but if I have to walk part of it, then so be it...to think that two years ago I ran a half marathon in just (barely) under 2 hours, at about a 10 minute mile without stopping...it boggles the mind.
Second, I need to read through as much of the Neurosurgery bible as I can, focusing mainly on the chapters that one of the residents mentioned are high yield for the sub-I.
Third, I need to seriously get up to speed on my suturing and knot tying skillz. I have not tied a knot since - I cannot remember. I need to do this non-stop for hours on end, until I can tie perfect square knots, with my eyes closed, one handed, while suturing with the other hand. I will also attempt to perfect the much sought after left handed tie and perhaps achieve immortal-like status as a sub-I in the OR. This is going to be hard with a metacarpal fracture of the 1st finger, but it has to be done.
Fourth, I intend to get myself used to waking up at the crack of dawn and working out for half an hour. Just half an hour, please God? 'K, thanks.
Fifth, I intend to figure out a way that I can eat healthy despite being a sleep deprived, time crunched zombie. This means lots of healthy snacks that can be fit into my white coat or scrub pockets, a filling healthy breakfast to get me as far into the day as is possible and NO junk food. None!
That cup almost done? Come on, now - get yourself a second. You know you want one. Listen a while to my third reason about Neurosurgery. Here, have a seat.

Reason 3: the brain is awesome. When a human fetus is unable to gain the nutrients it requires in utero (for a myriad of reasons, e.g. maternal consumption of alcohol or drugs) and essentially becomes malnourished, it starts to cut back on growth of certain organs and body parts. The liver, usually one of the biggest organs in the human body becomes smaller, the lungs, the kidney and other organs are reduced in size in order to save precious nutrients. This process, however, does not apply to the brain. It continues to use just as much energy for growth as it normally does, at the expense of other vital organs. What mean this, you ask? Yes. The brain is THAT important. The brain makes you you. It guides your movement, creates your thoughts, controls your breathing so you don't have to, keeps your heart beating and protects you from harm. Basically, all other organs exist to keep the brain happy. Injury or insult to the brain comes with devastating consequences and half of Neurosurgery is a surgical emergency with crucial decisions that must be made by reflex. In a nutshell? Awesome. What better way to spend the rest of my life than training to heal and understand this elegant organ?

No comments: