Saturday, July 31, 2004

Soon, my love.

I am standing on a hill. The sky above me stretches off for miles, it is beautiful and so blue it hurts my eyes just to look at it. There are clouds, too, in this blue sky. Those soft, billowing, cotton candy clouds that were meant to be gazed at, back on ground-arms outstretched-face to the heavens, for hours. Tearing my eyes away from it is difficult, but when I look below, there is a continuous sea of white sand that eventually turns itself into the turbululant waters of the ocean.

The ocean! How vast and powerful it is. Compared to it, I am a puny man, insignificant beyond reason. For a moment, I am not so sure. A sudden panic grips my heart, and I succumb to the doubts that linger within. But then, with horrible accuracy, I recall my life; the past day's events, and I am choked up with emotion. Nothing has meaning for me anymore. I am alone, in this world. I am utterly and completely alone. My life is a dream in slow motion. A dream that I can not stop, a dream that I am a hopeless spectator of.

She is gone. No longer will I wake up in the morning and watch her chest rise and fall in the steady, tender breath of her sleep. No longer will I look at the soft curve of her neck as she slowly brushes her hair. I will not see those eyes, those beautiful eyes that always gazed into mine so knowingly. I will not see her smile, that smile that lit up her face and made me weak in the knees...

She is gone. My love, my sweet love. My friend, my confidante. My partner, my all. My purpose, my sole purpose that gave me the drive to get up and face a new day. The reason I was a better, more genuine man.

With my head downcast, I begin to walk. The sun is shining down on me in warm radiance, underfoot, the grass is crisp and damp under my bare feet. I can hear the crash of the ocean as it rushes into the rocks and breaks onto the shore. I experience each and every moment with a clarity that is astounding. Somewhere, there are birds crying in the sky, but still I walk. With slow, trembling steps I am at the edge. A single tear escapes and falls down, down, down.

Soon, my love - we will be together again.

No comments: